Montana State Library Commission – Statutes, Administrative Rules and Bylaws
22-1-101 MCA. STATE LIBRARY COMMISSION ESTABLISHED.
(1) There is a state library commission.
(2) This commission is composed of the following members:
(a) the state superintendent of public instruction or the superintendent's designee;
(b) five persons appointed by the governor, who shall serve staggered terms of 3 years; and
(c) a librarian appointed by the commissioner of higher education from one of the six units of the Montana university system, who shall serve a term of 3 years.
(3) The commission shall annually elect a presiding officer from its membership.
(4) The members of the commission must be compensated and receive travel expenses as provided for in; 2-15-124.
22-1-102 MCA. LIBRARIAN AND ASSISTANTS.
The commission shall employ as its executive officer a librarian, who is a graduate of an accredited library school and is not a member of the commission, for such compensation as the commission considers adequate. The executive officer shall perform the duties assigned by the commission and serve at the will of the commission. The commission may also employ such other assistants as are required for the performance of the commission's work. In addition to their salaries while on commission business, the librarian and assistants shall be allowed their travel expenses, as provided for in
2-18-501 MCA through 2-18-512 MCA, as amended.
22-1-103 MCA. STATE LIBRARY COMMISSION – AUTHORITY.
The state library commission may:
(1) give assistance and advice to all tax-supported or public libraries in the state and to all counties, cities, towns, or regions in the state that propose to establish libraries, as to the best means of establishing and improving those libraries;
(2) maintain and operate the state library and make provision for its housing;
(3) (a) accept and expend in accordance with the terms of a grant any grant of federal funds that is available to the state for library purposes;
(b) accept, receive, and administer any gifts, donations, bequests, and legacies made to the Montana state library. Unless otherwise provided by the donor, gifts, donations, bequests, and legacies must be deposited in the Montana state library trust established in 22-1-225.
(4) make rules and establish standards for the administration of the state library and for the control, distribution, and lending of books and materials;
(5) serve as the agency of the state to accept and administer any state, federal, or private funds or property appropriated for or granted to it for library service or foster libraries in the state and establish regulations under which funds must be disbursed;
(6) provide library services for the blind and for individuals with physical disabilities;
(7) furnish, by contract or otherwise, library assistance and information services to state officials, state departments, and residents of those parts of the state inadequately serviced by libraries;
(8) act as a state board of professional standards and library examiners, develop standards for public libraries, and adopt rules for the certification of librarians;
(9) designate areas for and establish federations of libraries. ADMINISTRATIVE RULES OF MONTANA
ARM Chapter 101 of Education
ARM Chapter 102 of Education BYLAWS OF THE LIBRARY COMMISSION
Bylaws Addendum Roberts Motions
Duties of MSL Commission Board Chair and Commission